Northwestern Pacific Railroad - "The Redwood Empire
Route!" - Northern California, USA.
Engine 136 on Train 1 along the Eel River, 1914.
NWP136 is a North American 4-6-0 "Ten Wheeler" live
steam locomotive, based on the 1914 ALCO prototype, class 460-180.
NWP136 Project Pages:
The following images show:
- Original image as scanned from Stindt's book "The Northwestern
Pacific Railroad, Vol 1" (c. 5700x1500 pixels).
- Reference image from which the major measurements for the
general view drawing was defined. From the previous image that has been
perspective corrected and filtered (to reduce the print screening) using
PhotoShop. Note that the correction holds good only for the vertical plane
at the wheels.
- General View drawing - October 2000, (with some "place holders"
e.g. tender trucks).
Notes: 1 - Headlamp and other details are as per working NWP locomotive
(see Stindt) rather than ALCO's configuration. 2 - This drawing was made
before I obtained the general arrangement drawings and builder's
- General View drawing - Updated February 2002.
Please Note: The above images are 900 pixels wide as below
this resolution the line drawing details become unreadable.
General Arrangement Drawings.
I have been fortunate to get the following two GA drawings from the
Locomotive General Arrangement Drawing.
Tender General Arrangement Drawing.
Information from Builders Photo Paster for NWP#136
- Gauge of Track: 4' 8½"
- Cylinders: Dia 20", Stroke 28"
- Driving Wheel Diameter: 63"
- Boiler: Dia 66¼", Pressure 200 psi
- Fire Box: Length 108", Width 38¼"
- Tubes: Number 314, Dia 2", Length 15'-0"
- Wheel Base: Driving 14'-10", Engine 25'-11", Engine and
- Weight (lbs): Engine 180000 (Leading 44500, Driving
- Weight (lbs): Tender 141800(Full), 60000(Empty)
- Fuel: Crude Oil (Bunker C)
- Maximum Tractive Power: 30200 lbs
- Factor of Adhesion: 4.48
- Tender Capacity: Water 7000 Gals (58300 lbs), Fuel 2940
Gals (23500 lbs)
NWP136's Sister Locomotives
NWP137, NWP139 to NWP144
Original copyright of ALCO builders photographic images held
ALCO Historic Photos, PO Box 655, Schenectady, New York 12301-0655.
Original copyright of Northwestern Pacific Railroad
photographic images held by:
Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical
Society, P.O.Box 667, Santa Rosa, CA 95402-0067.